Top 5 Tips for Improving Warehouse Performance
The performance of warehousing operations whether in manufacturing, distribution or logistics will significantly impact both your top line and bottom line business outcomes.
Here are my top 5 tips for agressively driving dramatic performance improvement in warehouse operations in record time.
1. Develop accurate time standards for the key work tasks performed in the warehouse; receipt, put away, picking etc.
2. Use the time standards to advance plan a structured daily work schedule and analyse any differences between the actual work day and the planned work day on a daily basis.
3. Develop and track, on a daily basis, key output performance measures such as pick rate productivity, order accuracy, on time delivery etc.
4. Collate, publish and review these output performance measures and planned versus actual work outcomes with warehouse operatives and management on a weekly basis.
5. Develop and proactively pursue quarterly improvement targets on your key performance indicators.
And here’s a sixth for the price of five – be relentless in removing any obstacles that stand in the way of implementing these five steps. Implement and follow these simple steps and you will drive significant performance improvement in your warehouse operations that will dramatically impact your business results.